Types of Funds

Whichever option you choose, the fund you support or create will make an impact on our communities needs.

Unrestricted Funds

Unrestricted Funds support Humboldt Area Foundation community programs and unrestricted grantmaking that meets changing community needs.

Designated Funds

Designated Funds allow donors to create a legacy which benefits one or more nonprofits in perpetuity from earnings on the initial principal of the fund. These funds make annual grants to particular charitable organization(s) designated by the donor when they establish the fund.

Field of Interest Funds

Field of Interest Funds provide support for broad charitable purposes or areas of concern (i.e. Youth, Seniors, Environment, Arts & Culture, Companion Animals, or for charitable purposes within a particular geographic area such as Southern Humboldt).

Donor Advised Funds

Donor Advised Funds allow donors to establish a fund for immediate tax benefits and recommend grants to nonprofits on their own timetable. The donor may recommend a successor advisor to take over privileges with respect to the fund upon his or her death or other stated time so that family philanthropy can be promoted across generations. A donor’s family can remain actively involved in the fund’s charitable grant making as long as money remains in the fund. Donors can add to their fund whenever it suits their tax or giving needs. A donor advised fund at the Foundation can make distributions to any 501(c)(3) public charity in the United States, including houses of worship, schools and universities, and we can facilitate grants to overseas charities as well.

Scholarship Funds

Scholarship Funds offer the donor a broad latitude to define the scholarship criteria and may remain involved in (but not control) the recipient selection process. Per IRS regulations, donors may not select scholarship recipients. The Foundation can provide all scholarship administration and compliance with IRS requirements. A scholarship fund can provide one or more scholarships on an annual basis.

Invest your Reserve Fund at Humboldt Area Foundation

Humboldt Area Foundation offers nonprofit organizations the option of investing their reserve funds with Humboldt Area Foundation while retaining ownership of the assets. The Foundation currently invest funds for over 100 nonprofits in our region. Funds can be established at any time with a minimum of $10,000 by a nonprofit designated a 501(c)3 by the Internal Revenue Service.

In order to establish a fund you will need:

   An HAF agreement signed by the officers of your Organization’s
     Board of Directors
□   The Board minutes in which your Board of Directors voted to
     establish this fund.
□   A copy of your organization’s federal tax exemption letter.
□   The initial assets from which you would like to begin your
     fund (minimum $10,000)
□   A logo or image and your fund description for the
     Donor Yearbook

Our Donor Services team is here to answer any questions you may have by calling 707-442-2993. Foundation staff looks forward to working with you to establish your fund.

Each one of us can make a difference. Together we can make change.


363 Indianola Road, Bayside, CA 95524   (707) 442-2993   M-F 8:30am to 5pm   Email Us   Enews Sign Up